1. You will save thousands of lives. Failing to spay/neuter is the biggest cause of the pet overpopulation, suffering and euthanasia. Over 65,000 – the number of offspring ONE un-spayed/un-neutered dog or cat and his/her intact mate can produce in about six years if none of their offspring are spayed/neutered.
2. There are not enough people to adopt all of the animals that are being created. Your unwanted litter will most likely end up in a shelter where it may be killed/euthanized.
3. Your dog or cat will be healthier and happier. Fixed dogs and cats have a longer expected lifespan and will have less chance of developing certain cancers and other life threatening illnesses.
4. Your dog or cat will be better behaved, and less likely to roam, howl, spray and jump the fence.
5. You will save money. It is expensive to care for unwanted litters and the medical treatment associated (unfixed dogs and cats have more medical problems). Rabies tag/licensing fees are much lower in St. Louis City and County for fixed animals.
6. Your pet will be less likely to attract unwanted strays to your home or property.
7. You will eliminate female heat (menstrual) cycles and the inconvenience involved. Heat cycles can last up to four weeks.
8. Spayed and neutered pets are more adaptable to your home and family.
9. Spaying/neutering is a simple outpatient surgery with a quick recovery.
10. Every litter counts. Evidence shows that females spayed BEFORE their first heat are typically healthier.